As I was driving around today, I thought of a number of reasons why I will enjoy autonomous cars on the road in the near future.
- These cars will use signals for all right and left turns and lane changes. I know I’m not the only one dismayed by the rare use of the turn signal.
- Self-driving cars will not roll through stop signs nor will they run red lights. I pause when the light turns green. Too many cars have sped across my path in defiance of a red light.
- No autonomous cars will be riding my butt on the highway. They will maintain a safe and reasonable distance behind me. That will be refreshing.
- That’s because they will be driving the speed limit. They will not be pushing the envelope to see how fast they can go.
- Self-driving cars will not cut me off in town or on the highway. They will not weave in and out through traffic.
- They will park amazingly well. Straight and between the lines. What, no dings on the door? And not on my front lawn.
- They will go when the light turns green. Self-driving cars will not be distracted by phones or kids, but will pay attention to the traffic signals.
- No autonomous car will be driving fifteen miles per hour below the highway speed limit either.
- And they will all know where they are going. They won’t ignore wrong way signs and turn into incoming traffic. They won’t crawl through town looking for a street. GPS will guide them right where they need to go.
We’ll be in self-driving cars sooner than we think. Is that a good thing? We’ll soon find out.