I am still leaning that I have to do a lot of things around the church I didn’t realize were part of the job description. For example:
- Changing batteries in smoke detectors that are chirping and driving you up the wall.
- Compiling the list of who gets offering envelopes, which includes active members, those who regularly attend but are not members, and excludes those members who don’t use offering envelopes.
- Pick up dead bugs in the chancel.
- Reassemble chapel Advent wreath that was disassembled to make a Good Friday tenebrae candle holder.
- Retrieve loaner key from drop box where a black widow spider is living.
- Fetch new roll of toilet paper for “stranded” parishioner.
A lot of these things end up on my plate just because I’m around just about every day. Try as I might to delegate these jobs, new ones, different but similar will find their way to me.