Is our attendance increasing?
How many new members do we have?
What kind of activities does our church offer?
Those kinds of questions tend to be inward focused and self-serving. The question, “How is our community benefiting?” is outward focused but harder to answer. I can count the number of people who show up for a worship service on Sunday morning. But how do I quantitfy our church’s impact on the community?
- How many families are fed with the food donated for the resource center’s food pantry?
- How many parents are now praying at the request of their children who learned to pray in our preschool?
- How many of our youth are a positive influence among their classmates in the public schools?
- How many children in the after school Bible club we sponsor have come to faith in Jesus?
- How many children in Haiti have led their parents to Christ through our partnership in their school?
- How many people have been blessed, strengthened and healed through our prayers for them?
Those kinds of questions not only make me thankful for the far-reaching influence of the church, but remind me that there is so much more to do.